Wheeler Peak is the highest point in New Mexico. A couple of months ago we hiked up to horseshoe lake(below). Later that week we found out that horseshoe lake was only ~1 mile from wheeler peak.

The round trip hike to horseshoe lake in July was about 14 miles and that wasn't too bad so... if wheeler peak is only ~1 mile from horseshoe lake then that wouldn't be any problem right? What we found out was it wasn't that easy and Wheeler isn't a mile away.

When you turn around and look away from the lake this is what you see. It doesn't look that bad but your going vertical ~600 ft (thanks GPS) in about 1/4 mile distance. That little section of the hike took a lot out of us.

After we got through the bad part we saw this beautiful high alpine meadow, and our destination. It's hard to make out the trail leading up to it but the high point in the picture is Wheeler Peak.

We made it!!! The top is at 13,161ft and there is a monument describing who it is named for. Is that a gorgeous view or what?

To prove I made it here's a picture of me!
After we made it to the top we had to make it back. Already exhausted and 9 miles in we had to go another 9 miles to get out. I'll spare you all the details but a day later we were still exhausted but happy to be home.
Trip stats:
Time: 7 hours 30 minutes
Distance: 18 miles
Elev. Change: ~4000 ft
Next weekend, Engineer Mountain in Colorado with a elevation of 13,997 ft.
2 comments:
I've wanted to do all of the 14ers since I did one. That was 9 years ago. How many have I done since... 0. I am so jealous! The air gets uber-thin, huh?
Yes it does!
Post a Comment